If you go apple picking this year, chances are you will have a lot left over from your orchard adventure – maybe even more (bushels-full) than you know what to do with. Reap the rewards of your harvest to the fullest with these apple recipes. From sweet to savory, we searched the web to find you a variety of fun, creative and versatile options to try, as well as a few traditional favorites.
Preserve your apple picking supply
Apples from the supermarket are alright, but they never taste as good as when they are freshly picked from the orchard. The good news is, you can put that flavor into a jar and revisit it all year long. While apples are at their autumn best, cook up a big batch of apple sauce or apple butter, then follow the instructions below to learn how to safely can and preserve it.
Make your jarred apple goods now and serve on Thanksgiving. To give as gifts for the holidays, customize with labels and/or dress up by placing a square of patterned fabric over the lid and fasten with a ribbon or twine.
Drink your apples
Hot or cold, mulled or plain, apple cider is a seasonal staple. Here are a few more delicious and creative ways to drink cider this season other than straight from the glass. If you’re feeling a bit ambitious, you can even take a crack at making your own hard cider, which is easier than it sounds.
- Hot Mulled Apple Cider
- Shrunken Heads in Cider– a fun addition to any harvest party.
- Apple Cider Floats + 8 Apple Cider Cocktails To Try This Fall
- Hard Cider Kit From Brooklyn Brew Shop
Apples for dinner (or breakfast or lunch)
From full meals to recipe enhancements, sweeten up your next feast with everyone’s favorite fall flavor.
- Roasted Apple & Winter Squash Soup
- Warm Cinnamon Apples – goes great with pork or with breakfast.
- Savory Baked Apples(With Ground Pork, Spices & Nuts)
- Chicken Normandy(Chicken With Apples)
- Apple Chips – a naturally sweet snack or salad mix-in. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar before baking for extra flavor.
More than apple pie
When it comes to desserts, apple pie is king. But because you probably already have a go-to apple pie recipe (even if it’s driving to the nearest grocery store or bakery to get one), we’ve provided an assortment of other apple indulgences. Deep-fried, cinnamon sugar-coated apple fries, anyone?
- Maple-Apple-Upside Down Cake
- Salted Caramel Apple Hand Pies
- Apple Fries With Vanilla Whipped Cream
- Caramel Apple Pops
- Easy Apple Crisp
Did you plan on going apple picking this year? What’s your favorite apple recipe? Tell us in the comments below.